Thursday, December 6, 2007

Blank Dialogue

Jennifer Cooper
English 2010
Blank Dialogue
As the clock struck 1A.M. and her son Anthony still wasn’t home, Gina began pacing nervously. Where could he be? She had an idea, but she didn’t want it to be true. What if he is out doing drugs and he did something he would regret later. He could be out doing something that would ruin the rest of his life. Just then the door cracked open as if someone were trying to sneak in unnoticed. Anthony came all the way and flipped on the light switch. He thought he was home free until he saw his mother sitting on the couch with a panicked look on her face.
“Where have you been?” she asked her voice sharp like the edge of a knife.
“Out,” he replied simply. “Out,” she exclaimed. “That’s right,” he said calmly
“Anthony, I thought we talked about this kind of thing,” she said with tears in her voice.
“We have?” he asked with a puzzled look. And you didn’t think it was important? She prodded. “I am not sure what you are getting at here.
I’m just trying to figure out where you were,” She said.
Anthony could see that his mom was no longer in her right mind again for he had told her clearly that he worked late tonight so he decided to humor her. “Go ahead,” He said. “That doesn’t help you said you would help at least,” she rambled.
“Sure Mom,” he replied.
“Okay that’s what I am talking about.” She said her voice raised and strained.
“What’s what you are talking about?” He asked growing somewhat impatient with this game.
“I just can’t deal with this kind of treatment!” She yelled.
“Forget it,” he replied nonchalantly. What? She said in shock. “Forget it, I’m leaving.”
“Don’t,” she cried out. “Well can I get some sleep then?” he asked.
“Just don’t leave,” she said calming down considerably.
“No?” “No.”
He left her on the living room couch and headed upstairs for bed. He was determined that he would get as much as much sleep as he could for he didn’t know what tomorrow would bring with her. He wondered if she would even remember what had just happened tonight.

No comments: